Presentation and Aims
The Masters Degree programme in Food Quality and Safety in Cookery and Catering was created in 2007/2008. This is an innovative programme with a high level of specialisation. The degree has been structured to provide specialised scientific knowledge and training, according to the skills required by the EU Regulation No. 852/2004 (“on the hygiene of foodstuffs”). These skills include operational and coordination competences directly related to food quality and safety.
• Holders of a 1st Cycle Degree in Cookery and Food Production, catering or similar areas.
• Holders of a 1st Cycle Degree in other areas who undertake relevant professional activities in cookery and catering related areas.
The main objective of this degree is to prepare and enable specialised professionals to take decisions in food safety and quality, mainly in food production related areas. Students should be able to identify the dangers and risks in food safety associated with the various products and processes of the sector, and to propose and safely implement measures for their control. In addition, they should be able to implement quality systems that are appropriate to restaurant businesses.
• To master food-related techniques and technologies.
• To conceive and develop culinary options adapted to new trends and food regimes.
• To understand the Portuguese food quality system.
• To apply tools related to quality systems.
• To implement quality systems.
• To undertake auditing.
• To certify processes.
• To identify dangers and risks associated with catering and food-related products and processes.
• To participate in implementation and management teams that deal with risks in food safety.
• To develop and implement organisation models of health and safety in labour contexts.
This Masters Degree programme is organised in three modules in the 1st year:
• Catering – technical and practical training in gastronomy and culinary arts, providing a wide range of general and specific skills in catering.
• Hygiene and Food Safety – knowledge and methods applied to hygiene and food safety.
• Food Quality – knowledge related to quality, focusing on tools, systems, legal issues and the development of new products.
The 2nd year includes the Methodology Seminars I and II and the final project. Classes take place on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, from 18h00 to 22h00.
Contact hours include theoretical and practical classes, seminars, study hours and assignments.
The successful completion of the "Auditing and Certification" unit is awarded with special certification (QUALIFICAÇÃO DE AUDITORES INTERNOS ISO 22000:) issued by SGS Portugal, an accredited training entity.
The modules will run simultaneously throughout the semesters, in groups of 2 to 3 units.
Admitted candidates may complete individual modules in “Legislation and Standardisation”, “Auditing and Certification” and “Hygiene, Safety and Health at Work”, or the three as an advanced training course, provided that they state the reasons why they would like to enroll in these units.
1. Specialised Training in (individual units):
• Legislation and Standardisation – 300€
• Auditing and Certification – 300€
• Hygiene, Safety and Health at Work – 300€
2. Advanced training course (3 units of specialised training): 750€
3. Certification awarded to the successful completion of the units (completed individually or as an advanced training course).
4. The schedule of these units is the same of the Masters Degree.
5. Candidates should enroll up to one week before the beginning of classes of each of the units.
6. Enrollment is subject to the number of vacancies available.
• Assessment at the end of the semester consists of a written exam and practical/theoretical assignments.
• Attendance, participation in theoretical and practical classes as well as the development of theoretical or theoretical/practical assignments.